Thursday, September 27, 2007

Visitors in the Night

Hi everyone!
I had planned on posting about fall when it came my turn to post again, but we had a "little" excitement last night and I wanted to share it with you.
My family and I live out in the country, so we have all sorts of critters around us. Some stay at a distance and make themselves known with howls and calls and such, and others are a little more adventureous and make themselves at home on our back porch, snacking on the leftover cat food.
Last night, our little fiest, Snowflake, started barking and we assumed it was a deer crossing the yard as they usually do at night. Snowflake's barking was persistent though and we decided maybe it was the huge frog that stays on the porch at night. I've often found him sitting in Snowflake's water dish, maybe because of the long drought we've experienced this summer? Even after we told her it was okay and to go back in her doghouse, she continued to bark, but this bark was as if she had a squirrel treed. My husband went out on the front porch with a flashlight and right on the corner of the porch, in my flower pot, was a baby raccoon! Oh, it thought it was a biggie... growling and snarling at Snowflake each time she stepped closer.

Then hubby heard a noise above his head, and there at the top of the drain pipe was another one!

They were so sweet, but yes, they can be vicious if approached. We looked around the yard and up in trees, but no mama was to be found. Hubby says it's possible that the mama was killed and they are wandering on their own. I hope that's not the case and they just got away from her for a while. We left the babies alone after assuring Snowflake that everything was okay and she went to her doghouse to sleep. I think Snowflake just wanted us to know we had visitors. When I got up at 5:20 this morning, I checked and the little rascals were gone. Hopefully they will be more careful, but I wouldn't mind another night time visit from them.
Thanks for visiting our blog and don't forget to check The Primitive Gathering website for new items on October 1st!
Take Care & God Bless,

Lana of Honeysuckle Lane

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Lana they are adorable!
Jean

Anonymous said...

They are adorable, but be careful! When we first bought our home we found a mama and two baby raccoons sitting on our chimney. How cute we thought! Until we found out they were living in our basement and using the fireplace chimney to get in and out! We laugh about it now, but what a bother!

shweetpotato said...

Oh my gosh how cute cute cute I LOVE your blog :D Please stop by mine and say hi :D Ill be back :D Carm

Anonymous said...

Lana, you are the "critter whisperer"...
Sherry